Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Well this is embarrassing, isn't it?

Really I meant to keep this blog going throughout the summer and fall. My bad. I guess I could blame it on the global pandemic and my deteriorating mental health, but the truth is I just got lazy.

It's a real shame too because I wanted to write about the two pieces of short fiction I had published in November.

My Daughter, Prepper Bucket was published in issue two of Great Ape Journal. It's a story about a conservative father who's starting to suspect his daughter doesn't share his political views and decides to fix their relationship by taking her to the local shopping centre to defend it from the Antifa hordes that fail to materialize. The story collates a bunch of twitter jokes I made about a fictional daughter I invented, named Prepper Bucket. Fictional twitter children have sort of become a genre in themselves, haven't they? I guess I was trying to go for a Wodehousian feel with the antics, which is a rather tall order. If anyone gets a laugh out of it that's good enough for me. 

Chramn the Unconquered was published in Volume 16, Issue 10 of Schlock! Webzine. It's about a barbarian type who lives all alone on the tundra and wants revenge against the warriors who took his family from him. I was trying to express some of my own personal failures when I wrote it and thinking about the barbarian archetype from stuff like Robert E Howard's Conan and Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal. Actually I was thinking a lot about that one Frazetta painting, you know the one where the warrior is driving a sled-chariot through the snow pulled by polar bears? I guess it's from a Michael Moorcock book. Well, I tried to come up with my own only-slightly-less-impractical tundra vessel for the story. 

I've got another story coming out in mid-February in Dream of Shadows

Hopefully I'll be able to write a post or two on the old blog here before then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was a really dumb idea

 I haven't updated it in over a year. Sorry (apologizing to myself here, because no one is reading this).  I chose to go with a blog for...